Monday, September 29, 2008

Zepp Tour

I haven't blogged in quite a long time. I thought I should at least throw out some fodder on the off chance that someone comes looking around again.
Led Zeppelin is back on tour. I think that's: a) pretty darn cool and b) too cost prohibitive for anyone like me to actually attend. Of course, I'm also glad to see the continuing trend of older artists going back out for another round of touring. I mean, before the days of sound recording, that was pretty much the only way the minstrels made their money, right?
I have been lucky enough, however, to have gone and seen a few of my favorites from yester-year. Going to Nashville to see Gordon Lightfoot was huge for me. I can remember being a wee lad, even before starting school, with Mom teaching me to play "Gord's Gold, Vol. 1" on vinyl.
It's also good to go out and see the stars who are still active, but are closer to the end of those year-on-the-road days. George Strait and Bruce Hornsby are two that I've seen that come to mind. Both have had active careers spanning more than two decades. Both still put on incredible shows (in their own ways, of course). I'm glad I got to see these shows when they were still full-on musical productions, unlike Mr. Lightfoot, whose show was stripped down to the man, four of his closest friends, and a few background drapes. It was as pure and simple a show as I have ever seen, but I wish I could've been there for the 70's...
Go to a concert already!

No comments: