Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Opener

Welcome to the Journeyman Report!
If all goes according to plan, this blog should be very diverse, as are my interests. My main interests are music, politics, law, technology, pop culture, and food. The bulk of my writing will reflect those main topics, but rest assured, there will be many offshoots.
For anyone who cares to know, I am currently a law student at the University of Tennessee College of Law. I am the 2008-09 president of our chapter of the Federalist Society [of Law and Policy], and, yes, I do consider myself quite the renaissance journeyman.
Knowing a little about a lot-- it gives you just enough information to start a conversation and begin listening to those around you. If you're lucky, your conversation will include a genuine expert on the subject who will enlighten you and appreciate your interest at the same time. More often than not, however, you're likely to run into some blow-hard know-it-all who will, if nothing else, provide you with some internal comedy and make you appear sociable to others in the room.
There is a minimum threshold, however. My business law professor in undergrad once said, "I want to teach you just enough so that you know to go ask someone else." Darrell Waltrip has also been credited with saying, "You don't know what you don't know." Two key points lie in these quotes. If you know absolutely nothing about a given subject, how can you know which questions to ask? It's not as important to know everything, but you need to know enough about a subject to know where to turn for help.
If I do anything at all with this blog, I want to help people know where to turn, at least for the topics of my interest. Buckle up-- it should be a fun ride...
--The Journeyman

No comments: